Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Try a Tri?

There's a sprint triathalon in Springfield this weekend (500 yard swim, 12 mile biking and a 5K run).  As a matter of fact, it practically goes by my house, and its starting line is only a couple miles away from house.  Shane has registered for it.  I keep getting the urge to sign up, but I haven't done any swimming for distance in I don't even know how long.  Plus I hate biking, and I don't have a road bike.  Plus my running this morning has me feeling crappy about my overall fitness level.  It seems the planets are in alignment for me to skip this challenge.  But why does it keep calling to me?

Yesterday I was stalking last year's results.  I was looking at each leg of the race wondering how I would do on it.  The problem is that I have no idea!  I'm not even sure I could swim 500 yards at this point let alone at a pace that would allow me to finish the race before they made me leave the course.  Okay, so it probably wouldn't be that bad, but it probably won't be pretty.

I also have nothing to wear that will allow me to transition from swimming to biking to running.  I would have to buy clothing.  I would have to buy a bike helmet.  I would have to find a bike to borrow that doesn't require me to clip in.  I can't use my big ol' heavy mountain bike for this.  I mean, I could, but I don't need anything else slowing me down.  I'll be doing a fine job of that without the extra help.

There are so many reasons for me to not do it.  So why do a really, really want to?  I guess I love a challenge.  My next blog entry should tell you whether I did it or not.  Man, now I've talked about it publicly.  If I back down now, I'm a wuss, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment