- October 20, 2012 - Red Ribbon Run 5M. With just 13 days since the Chicago Marathon, I didn't know if I would even run this race. However, I won a free entry through a contest, so I would play it by ear. Turned out, I felt pretty decent after about a week, so I decided to run. My goal for this race would be to attempt to pace under 8:00 minute miles. I thought it was a good goal for this flat, straight course. I hit my pace, finishing in 39:10. Surprisingly, I felt amazing considering we were less than two weeks since the marathon, and I hadn't ran very much. It was good for curing any mental or physical barriers that might have occurred from the marathon. I think I'm good to go!
- November 17, 2012 - Jingle Bell Run 5k. This is the race that I had my first "official" PR (chip-timed), second race ever, when I began running back in 2010. I was looking foward to a new PR because I was consistently running faster miles than I my last PR a year earlier. Unfortunately, the course was two-tenths of a mile too long (3.3k)! My pace was a PR, but my overall time was over 24 minutes. It was still good for a 1st Place age group award, but bummed about not getting my PR. Not sure I will run this race again. Shane was running a trail race on the same day that sounded much more fun.
- April 6, 2013 - Ran the Lincoln Presidential Half Marathon with a new PR of 1:51:09 (8:29 pace). I was shooting to get under 1:50, but I really didn't train hard for it. I stayed with the pace group until nearly mile 10 and then ran out of steam! I am proud of my finish though. I'll get it next time. I'm also going to train up to 15 miles as to not bonk again in mile 11.
- May 4, 2013 - Ran the Indy 500 Mini Marathon with a bunch of friends. It was such a fun, amazing day even though my finish time was over three hours. We made a whole weekend out of it and just had a blast! I will need to go run this one again as it was a well ran, very fun, flat race! Had a blast post-race hanging in downtown Indy as well. This is half marathon state #4.
- May 25, 2013 - The Passavant 10k. This was the race that I placed 2nd in my age group last year. This would also be the race that I attempt to go under 50 minutes for a 10k. That means pacing under 8:00 for the whole race. Going into it, I wasn't sure if I was there yet. It was early in the season. I finished at 49:22! Second in my age group again. Pretty happy with how I felt today. Started off rough, but pace got really comfortable by the end.
- July 4, 2013 - The Premier Bank 5k. I have gotten used to longer races, so a 5k will be interesting. My goal for this day would be to go under 23 minutes. I was disappointed there weren't timing chips and I also heard the course runs 20-30 seconds longer than other 5k. Oh well. I was here, and ready to run. The race started downhill and crowded, so the first mile was fast. Settled in, and was able to eek out a 23:20, and a 1st place age group award. I will break that 23 minute mark next time!!
- July 13, 2013 - Women's Distance Festival 2M. I've never been able to run this race before usually due to some scheduling conflict in one way or another. My ultimate goal would be to run it under 14 minutes. My realistic goal would be to run it in 14:30. With that time, I would be taking nearly a 40 seconds off of my previous 2 mile race time last August. I started fast, but settled in behind a girl running about my pace. We passed each other a couple of times during the race, but in the last quarter mile, I had enough left to pass three people including my pacer. I stopped my watch and saw that it was still on 13! My official time was 13:50. I couldn't even believe it! Good enough for a 1st Place Master's Division win and a $40 gift card to Springfield Running Center. Sweet!! I'm really proud of this one. My fastest full mile ever at 6:37. Yikes, that first mile was too fast!
Tuesday, July 23, 2013
Wow, I can't believe I haven't written a blog entry since the Chicago Marathon. I guess, just like the huge build up to the marathon, followed by a running slump of sorts, I must have ended up in a blogging slump as well. So, let's see what's been going on with me since October 2012:
Posted by Tammy Bumgarner